After nagging me for 2 days i gave in on my MacBook and started the update to MacOS Catalina.
2 hours later i came back to see a lovely colorful screen telling me that there is not enough disk space to install Catalina and a cute button to reboot.
Some house later again, the MacBook did show a black screen with a flashing x´d folder.
Short research, this means the OS cannot find a working HDD to boot from.
Rebooting into the recovery console told me that my HDD is corrupt ! With the fix-it i could restore some of my data and stored is on an external USB drive.
Now, recovery console could install a fresh “new” Mojave with no apps or datas and, for security, i have to change all my passwords used for iCloud and the MacBook.
The search for a bigger HDD (SSD) to avoid this in the future ended that newer MacBooks have a fixed SSD that cannot be replaced; honestly apple ? Mine, a mid 2015, has a 256 SSD that could be updated but apple used a special connector and no one has replacements available.
One company offers a product to connect usual SSD´s (only high price, high quality of course). Biting the sour apple (love that) i ordered the connector and a 1 TB SSD. Delivery supposed to be mid November.
Until that day i´ll stuck with Mojave, ignoring that nagging update sign.
Sorry Steve but that´s how apple works nowadays.
First, no app is bug free and sometimes apps crash without a certain reason.
Looking at the crash-logs 95% of the crashes happen because the app is pushed into background.
Please be aware that apple does not allow apps to run in the background. While MetaChat might run for 3 to 30 seconds in background, after that undefined period iOS will break the network connection and put the app on hold.
There is no way to circumvent this.
SL is a real time MMORPG environment, no simple chat application.
The big problem for/with MetaChat is the network connection.
SL wants 24 connections to the client but iDevices only can handle 4 !
This is defined by LL and cannot be changed.
Problems can come from:
- Friendlist > 80 (all above is handled with a trick by the SL servers)
- Grouplist > 25
- Inventory > 10.000 ….
Be aware that all the datas have to be downloaded from the servers to your phone. If your connection just has a tiny hiccup – all is lost and the app crashes.
If the original viewer had to run on your iDevice it would exactly do the same.
Please read this help-guide and make sure your network connection is fast and stable.
Do not ask me for a refund. Only apple can grant this because they have to give back the 33% share they take on every sale.
This took longer than expected. iOS13 broke many functions and the delayed 13.1 made a mess to developing apps with the new feature.
And suddenly apple changed the way you upload apps without further notice; only google helped.
Lots of testing on 3G networks with the new login did work most of the time. Be aware that SL needs a very very fast stable network connection or the servers cut you off.
Still, do not move (between cells) while being connected, this is like plug your network wire off-on. SL servers do not accept this.
– updated logout function
– logout: ask if you really want it
– login quicker response on slower connections
– cached files are updated after 5 days
– replace deprecated UIWebView with WKWebView
- bug with SL allowing comments after the music url that prevents playback – cleared
- cosmetic update to adjust send button to device size
- arrows to move are smaller, move to the actual sim borders
- click on a spot to “GoTo” or “Teleport” or “Follow”
- Teleport only works for greater distance
- GoTo only works with no obstacles (AutoPilot fails if path is blocked)
- Follow: click on an avatar dot on map to follow this avatar all around the sim
select avatar from avatar list to select click anywhere on map to follow
click anywhere on the map to stop follow
- faster loading of map images with all contents (only SL)
this function needs a very strong/fast connection!!!
- added worldmap with showing avatar positions (updating positions on the fly)
- pinch to zoom
- drag to move
- home button goes to current sim
- own avatar shown in red
- force loading of friendlist even on slower connections
this should also remove the – max 80 friends shown – limit
- problem with SQL not deleting some entries, solved
- only files with entries are shown
the app was rejected for the reference to iOS13.
If you are using beta software please do not leave bad reviews because developers are not allowed to use new features before final release.
But you can report them to developers, so preparations can be made.
– first adjustments to the UI for iOS13
– improved network checking/handling
– overall bug-fixes and speed improvements
– UI adjustment for username
– whole new UI code to work with IOS13
The app is not fully ready for iOS13 because the OS and the developer tools are still in beta and functions can/will change before release.
A new/updated page for solving the most common problems is available:
What will come:
Next version has some updates for the upcoming iOS 13 – more will come,
8000+ lines of code where changed to speed up the list processing, most of what the app is doing all time. Speed increased 10 to 20 % overall.
The avatars near me list in map-view can now be scrolled down all the way
As always, please keep in mind that crashes and lost messages … are usually related to your network connection.
SL servers are made for wired connection and absolutely NOT for mobiles.
There are already some reports from people using a desktop and wired connection because providers locked their internet or slowed it down because of SL. (Just search the LL – SL forum)
Found a bug missing a feature use this page or the in-app form to send me an email.
I won´t reply soon because my time is limited and if there is a request i need to evaluate to problem/possibility before answer.
A long wanted feature – uploading pictures – is still on the list. SL uses the commercial Kakadu library with huge license fees (1000 $/year)
Free libraries are not available for iOS devices (yet)
Current problems with SL and the new offline message cap limits are server side. Servers sometimes suddenly stop transmitting when hitting this limits. (working on)
- Connection less sensitive about network problems (can slow down the app)
- Workaround for crash during send/receive message should be cleared (bug in MySQL)
- fixed crash when walk outside simulator borders
- fly doesn´t shoot you into oblivion, hold the button goes up – release stay at this height
- open chat does not scroll to bottom at incoming messages or when switch to chat window
- incoming message from Security Orbs, Vendors showing UUID are translated into usernames
“Report from secondlife:///app/agent/xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx/agent sent” translates
“Report from John Doe sent”
- muted GroupIM are not displayed anymore
- fixed: after start all unread messages where loaded but not announced (badge counter)
IOS 13 is at the door – later this year
While a new OS always brings some changes developers have to adapt, iOS 13 will have one major difference.
There will be iOS 13 for iPhones and one for iPads (with unique features). Because there is no chance to test this features without a dedicated machine and device the update can bring up some pitfalls no one – without a magical tool – will know.
Next update (for iOS 11 and 12) will come very soon, addressing some bugs reported from users (especially one with outstanding clear and helpful reports and suggestions).
The network code became another clean-up but still – the app cannot work with weak and switching networks because SL/OpenGrid servers are not designed for.
Stay tuned …