Took some time to get this update ready, mainly because of the very frequent iOS updates.
WOLRDMAP (user feature)
- search through all available sims (only first 100 finds can be shown)
- long press on a sim asks to teleport there (only in the middle of a sim)
- sims not using standard textures, maps render with defaults
- iOS bug: background mode should be back to normal (see iOS release notes)
- fixed: answer NO to logout question always return to logout menu on more-menu
- update sql to a modern, robust and faster lib / store/retrieve messages from Database
- all buttons/segues adjusted to work with iOS13 future updates
MacOS Catalina runs but i had to invest time and money to buy new software because the “old” one is not compatible.
If you remember batch-files running in the console; Catalina does not allow this and always want me to “move to trash” because they are violent.
iOS: 7+ updates in 6 weeks. That´s fun for developers. When you are done with updating, you can trash all because it wont work after next update.
Creating apps with apples developer tools only run on iOS 13.2. Not 13.0 or lower. Apple promised to work on a fix but meanwhile no one can upload updates or new apps to the app-store. (You could revert all the Mac updates but well …. NO)
MetaChat: I´m working on the logout but, when you select no the “more” button is always jumping to logout again. Thats wanted behaviour (says apple) but in my case it´s not.
Anyway, stay positive 🙂
While apple still bugs me to replace the MacBooks exploding-battery, i managed to install a new SSD with 1 TB to replace that way too small 256 GB original one. You need a converter and what not …
Not easy and not cheap but catalina installs and i can continue working.
MetaChat did not receive an update because i´m analysing crash logs.
SL had some bad days with logins not working or failing, stuck … where the crash logs are useless.
Most crashes happen when bringing up the app from background. While i tried to make it work in background this is not supported by apple. Before you push the app in background make sure you are logged out.
Some numbers on crash logs:
- 95 % of the crashes are related to background task problems
- 3 % are because using the app while “running around” switching networks (this is and never ca be supported due to the nature how SL servers are build)
- around 1 % still raised by the MySQL bug opening/closing a database.
- 1 % are missing in action
The near future might bring an update i´m working on for 3 years now and never really believed it coming true. Enough said, stay tuned.
After nagging me for 2 days i gave in on my MacBook and started the update to MacOS Catalina.
2 hours later i came back to see a lovely colorful screen telling me that there is not enough disk space to install Catalina and a cute button to reboot.
Some house later again, the MacBook did show a black screen with a flashing x´d folder.
Short research, this means the OS cannot find a working HDD to boot from.
Rebooting into the recovery console told me that my HDD is corrupt ! With the fix-it i could restore some of my data and stored is on an external USB drive.
Now, recovery console could install a fresh “new” Mojave with no apps or datas and, for security, i have to change all my passwords used for iCloud and the MacBook.
The search for a bigger HDD (SSD) to avoid this in the future ended that newer MacBooks have a fixed SSD that cannot be replaced; honestly apple ? Mine, a mid 2015, has a 256 SSD that could be updated but apple used a special connector and no one has replacements available.
One company offers a product to connect usual SSD´s (only high price, high quality of course). Biting the sour apple (love that) i ordered the connector and a 1 TB SSD. Delivery supposed to be mid November.
Until that day i´ll stuck with Mojave, ignoring that nagging update sign.
Sorry Steve but that´s how apple works nowadays.
First, no app is bug free and sometimes apps crash without a certain reason.
Looking at the crash-logs 95% of the crashes happen because the app is pushed into background.
Please be aware that apple does not allow apps to run in the background. While MetaChat might run for 3 to 30 seconds in background, after that undefined period iOS will break the network connection and put the app on hold.
There is no way to circumvent this.
SL is a real time MMORPG environment, no simple chat application.
The big problem for/with MetaChat is the network connection.
SL wants 24 connections to the client but iDevices only can handle 4 !
This is defined by LL and cannot be changed.
Problems can come from:
- Friendlist > 80 (all above is handled with a trick by the SL servers)
- Grouplist > 25
- Inventory > 10.000 ….
Be aware that all the datas have to be downloaded from the servers to your phone. If your connection just has a tiny hiccup – all is lost and the app crashes.
If the original viewer had to run on your iDevice it would exactly do the same.
Please read this help-guide and make sure your network connection is fast and stable.
Do not ask me for a refund. Only apple can grant this because they have to give back the 33% share they take on every sale.
This took longer than expected. iOS13 broke many functions and the delayed 13.1 made a mess to developing apps with the new feature.
And suddenly apple changed the way you upload apps without further notice; only google helped.
Lots of testing on 3G networks with the new login did work most of the time. Be aware that SL needs a very very fast stable network connection or the servers cut you off.
Still, do not move (between cells) while being connected, this is like plug your network wire off-on. SL servers do not accept this.
– updated logout function
– logout: ask if you really want it
– login quicker response on slower connections
– cached files are updated after 5 days
– replace deprecated UIWebView with WKWebView
- bug with SL allowing comments after the music url that prevents playback – cleared
- cosmetic update to adjust send button to device size
- arrows to move are smaller, move to the actual sim borders
- click on a spot to “GoTo” or “Teleport” or “Follow”
- Teleport only works for greater distance
- GoTo only works with no obstacles (AutoPilot fails if path is blocked)
- Follow: click on an avatar dot on map to follow this avatar all around the sim
select avatar from avatar list to select click anywhere on map to follow
click anywhere on the map to stop follow
- faster loading of map images with all contents (only SL)
this function needs a very strong/fast connection!!!
- added worldmap with showing avatar positions (updating positions on the fly)
- pinch to zoom
- drag to move
- home button goes to current sim
- own avatar shown in red
- force loading of friendlist even on slower connections
this should also remove the – max 80 friends shown – limit
- problem with SQL not deleting some entries, solved
- only files with entries are shown
the app was rejected for the reference to iOS13.
If you are using beta software please do not leave bad reviews because developers are not allowed to use new features before final release.
But you can report them to developers, so preparations can be made.
– first adjustments to the UI for iOS13
– improved network checking/handling
– overall bug-fixes and speed improvements
– UI adjustment for username
– whole new UI code to work with IOS13
The app is not fully ready for iOS13 because the OS and the developer tools are still in beta and functions can/will change before release.